There’s a growing deficit in this world that is spreading like an epidemic at a rapid rate. No, it’s not the flu…
…it’s a lack of manners. Gents, this is a problem, one that should not be taken lightly. It’s understandable that we live in a fast paced world with technology that is only getting unbelievably more amazing. However, this does not mean we are given a hall pass to be an ass.
It has become increasingly more difficult to enjoy public outings. From broadway to the beach, society has become more about the individual’s own experience rather than that of a shared one. As much as I would love to blame technology, it is our own ignorance that is the culprit.
Let’s take a moment to remember that common decency, manners, and respect of your fellow man and woman never go out of style.
“Manners Maketh Man.”
A few MANnerly suggestions:
- Please & Thank You go a long long way
- Excuse Me is always the appropriate response when bumping someone or getting someone’s attention
- The Seatback is the back of someone’s seat, possibly even yours – DO NOT bump, kick, tap, lean, pull, or especially if there’s a touchscreen on it, start poking or smacking it
- The armrest to your right is yours – DO NOT hang over it
- Cough and Sneeze into your arm
- DO NOT text and drive – #itcanwait
- Put your phone away at the table and at the theater – If they are not there, they do not need your attention
- Use your indoor voice – Always
- Remember, the world does not revolve around you
- Speakerphone & Walkie Talkie is for home use
- Mind your language around children
- If you are not a politician then keep your political views to yourself
- Cat calling is for, well, cats
The list goes on, but it’s all really quite simple. Treat others how you wish to be treated and watch what you get in return. Of course, you may encounter a completely ignorant and self absorbed individual, but remember, that is their karma, not yours. Be the example, not the problem.
“Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
By Nicholas Lucin